On Tuesday dark the Verge tweeted out this clip about whether or not yous can charge your iPhone 8 faster by plugging it into the wall and also placing information technology on a wireless charging pad.

https://twitter.com/circuitbreaker/status/925464914369462272

They didn't answer the question in the clip, but other news outlets have reported on this as well. Their conclusion: no it won't become faster, only it won't make your phone explode either. But I don't run across anyone who really tried this for a total accuse, and then I decided to practise it myself. Here'due south the results (details below):

As expected, there'south not much difference and my phone did not explode (or even get warm), just at first glance information technology looks like there's a fiddling something there, right?

I ran this with the iPhone 8 Plus sitting on a Samsung Fast Charge Wireless Charging Pad and plugged into the iPad charging brick (AKA the Apple 12W power brick). I've tested both of these before, but never at the same time, mostly because I'm a sane man being, just this exam was worth losing that sanity for a couple hours.

The iPhone did indeed maintain a lead 100% of the time in this 2 hours exam. The philharmonic charging solution got off to a quick 2% caput offset in the first ten minutes, and maintained a 2-4% lead through the unabridged test. It too got to 100% nearly 10 minutes earlier. Practiced news, right? Non actually.

Come across in this exam the iPhone got off to a slightly quicker start, 2% in the offset 10 minutes. When we remove that 2% caput start we go a chart that looks like this:

Exactly the same, right?

My conclusion is that you should non try to combine your charging methods to get a faster accuse. I recollect the 2% lead the combo charging method got in the first 10 minutes was a fluke and was caused by a random variable I can't control in either the iPhone, the chargers, or the outlet. Removing that small departure results in charging speeds exactly the same as if using just the wired charging on its own.

I'1000 sorry to burst anyone's bubble on this i. Honestly in the dorsum of my head I was kind of hoping this would be true. Oh well, this is why we test things, right?